Saturday, February 21, 2015

A February Catch Up....


So February is drawing to a close and it's about time for a catch up! I finally finished the warp off that I put on the loom for the Hospice Vintage Fair. It is quite narrow but lots of fun, you can view a video of the whole thing here. Not sure what it will become yet, I may make some more bags!


 January saw me finally getting to grips with my knitting machine after it has been in storage for 5 years. I've been knitting some blanks up for the time being, yes and dyeing them!



and with the loom being free I soon got the blanks warped and wove a couple of scarves, although I wove scarf one at less ppi than scarf 2 and scarf 2 has a much better feel to it, the moral to this tale, sample you nitwit, you had plenty of yarn! Anyway now I've got a better idea how much warp and weft I need for one of these I will probably experiment a little more with the hand painting and add some more colour!

See you in March!

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Finally a FO!


So this week I finally sat down and sewed in the ends of these mittens. They've been hanging around for longer than 6 months. I kind of fell out of love with them before I'd sewn in the ends which is why it has taken so long.


No spinning this week but I have managed to a do a little dyeing. I very rarely dye anything for myself but this sparkly superwash nylon has been in my stash for years waiting for me to do something with it!

I've almost finished another row on the weavette blanket, but decided there was enough yarn left for yet another row of 16 squares, it's all about numbers I think, 304 squares meant more to me than 288!

Sunday, January 18, 2015

It's been a dry week....

.....on the craft front! There has been some very serious rain, but in my world that is always preferable to snow! I did finish up the second spin of the year Monday evening and haven't done alot of anything since. Well I wove in some ends on the weavette squares and I did finally get my knitting machine to knit so that was a celebration in itself!



This was some merino/camel that had been put aside. It was the end of the bump and there were some straggly bits making up the 100g, not good enough to sell but still perfectly fine to dye and spin.

I haven't done alot of weaving, still need to plug away at what's on the loom and I've also dug out the last knitting project I worked on which isn't finished.....high time I got the ends sewn in, think it's been in the bag quite a while. Hopefully by moving it into a prominent position they (some mittens) will be completed soon, my project notes said they had been cast off way before LAST JUNE....eeek! I have set myself the target of actually completing them before I start anything else, it would be good to complete the weavette blanket too, but one thing at a time! Achievable goals but maybe it's time spinning took a break while I get these things done and dusted!

Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Achievable Goals!

Well here we are in January. I have decided New Years Resolutions are not for me and instead I will set myself regular achievable goals, these can be weekly, daily or even monthly. The main thing is not to try and do everything at once, prioritise, plan and execute, but don't try and overload yourself with too many goals at once!

I'm still being strict with what wips are on the go and trying not to start anything else until something is finished.


I have almost finished the weavette blanket, except when I finished joining all 272 squares, 16 x 17, and laid it on the bed there was something in me that decided I REALLY MUST do another row of squares and make it 17 x 17. I need to make 5 more squares, join them to the the rest of it and then I can procrastinate about doing the edging

There is a warp left on the loom from some public weaving in September. I have been working on this a little, but I have been distracted with some spinning. I am trying to finish this though as there are things queueing up to jump on the loom. I have the warp that came from the Saori warp exchange, a ready made warp in purples which I bought in 2013 and now I've been very lucky to have been sent a beautiful handspun warp from the lovely Sarah over at Yarnspider, although as this is handspun it is going to need some special yarn to make something fitting, there is some nice camel/merino on the wheel at the moment but I have plenty of time to plan these projects in the mean time! I also haven't experimented with my comb reed yet, I have some beautiful silks from Handweavers studio and a new finer reed to play with!


This is my first spin of 2015! 400m of superwash and nylon sparkle. I bought this as a roving from Caroline at WoolforBrains. Its been a lovely spin, very sparkly and made a nice change from my own fibre. I've never made a roving from a batt, something else to try one day!