Thursday, February 15, 2007

Here as promised is the beautiful silk yarn Kerrie gave me, I was completely drawn to the deep purple and brown colour of it. I've never knitted with silk before, and this needs a special project. Maybe a simple crop sleeve cardigan for the Summer.

This soft cream is the first skein I have spun from some roving Kerrie gave me on Friday which could possibly be Walnut. It spins into a lovely soft thick and thin single, but next I'd like to see how it takes to the Easy Peasy dyes. Then I'll knit a sample up and see what it looks like. It's really nice to try out an unusual fibre like this!


On the knitting front I have finished the sleeves of Durrow, but its not that photogenic, and I'm now onto the mindless but happy knitting of the back.


I had my first spinning disaster last night..I have been spinning some hand-painted Wensleydale longwool which had been going ok. Normally I would spin 2 bobbins as similar in size as I can judge and then ply them but I have been reading of people winding a bobbin off into a centre pull ball then plying it together from both ends, it's not a complete disaster, but I've actually wound what's left of my centre pull ball back onto the bobbin, I will proceed to spinning a second bobbin, it feels a bit of a mess because I'm not sure I like the way the colours are mixing when they are plied but it doesn't seem to want to be a singles yarn either.

Everything now has to stop for homework, I don't know why I'm dragging my heels this week, but I need to do my still-life study of tones and a couple of other exercises, and knit one more selvedge sample before Sundays C & G workshop.

As for the Header of my blog...it needs a bit of tweaking but there's a simple how to add a photo to your blog header here, my problem is that I have incorporated the blog title into the picture. If I get rid of the other blog title I will be difficult to find with a search engine, I can make the other title disappear by blending it into the background using the same colour, but what I really need is a fibery quote or some kind of clever introduction to my blog to fill the space in the box, please leave any suggestions in the comments.

9 comments:

Charity said...

Oh, I can just see that silk as a little cardi! Very soft looking it is. :0)

Caroline said...

Another attempt at commenting - love the cream yarn - very luscious.

Kath said...

Have you thought of trying to navaho ply the yarn to try and keep the colours together as it were? Sorry I've a headache and can't quite think of the best way of phrasing that so I hope you know what I mean! Take a look here for clarification! http://www.interweave.com/spin/spinoff_magazine/files/sp_06/SO_Basics.pdf

Ms. Knitingale said...

Jo, I'm in love with that silk! Such rich colors. That should be so lovely knit up. I'm anxious to see how the new fiber you're spinning ends up. I really want to learn to spin...but I think Mr. K is a bit concerned about opening any other avenues for fiber to enter the house....

Artis-Anne said...

Lovely silk yarn & that walnut!! fibre looks good. Duh Kath got in before me I was going to say Navaho plying. Thanks for the link re doing headlines . I am going to try today to re-do my blog X fingers as I might just disappear !!

steve said...

Gorgeous! Strange, but the photos themselves work as art for me--all the textures and colors are so rich.

Marianne said...

Mmmm mmmm, that silk looks nearly good enough to eat...I think it will be lovely what ever you decide. That cream coloured spinning is beautiful, so soft looking...can hardly wait to see what colour/s you dye it.... now back to your homework/studies...:^)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my site, and for the compliment.

Great yarn. I had something similar from Artyarn, and I used ikat knitting. It kept the colours together as I knitted a bag. One of the many projects which have yet to be finished!

Anonymous said...

The silk yarn is gorgeous. I love the colors. The Walnut yarn looks nice and soft too.