Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Another month!

Alot has happened in the last month......the children have gone back to school. The weather has been doing all kinds of unpredictable things, where you wake up and dress for Autumn and by the afternoon it was sweltering heat again.

I have been very busy aswell and spent a couple of weekends out and about demonstrating at Coastal Currents Open Studios in the Old Town and just before that Ruby arrived:



Ruby is my new loom,  a Saori WX60. Thanks have to go to Woolforbrains for telling me to drape a table cloth over it. That table cloth is like a cloak of invisibility, which is good because I don't want those toddler fingers poking at Ruby.

I'm slowly weaving on Ruby at the moment, (quite ironic as I bought her to speed things up) but I am lacking a decent light to weave by, but hoping to remedy this soon! I took a while to settle on a weaving height too, but the bed seems just right.

The final photo is the weaving I have just taken off the loom, it's about 80cm long and 25cm wide, I just wanted to have a look and feel the fabric and think about what I might do with it. I have started a new piece with the same colours, I might try and go off at a tangent and weave larger stripes with different textures peeking through, or I might carry on just as I am, infact I don't really know what I'm doing and I still don't know what I'm going to do with it but the main thing is I'm enjoying what I'm doing!

I've just been winding some balls to put a warp on my Knitter's Loom too, as if my attention wasn't stretched enough.

I did make a lovely completely handspun scarf while weaving at Coastal Currents, when we get a brighter day I will attempt to get a photo as I'm really pleased with the way it turned out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking great! Love the colors.

Finding weaving time is the trickiest part of weaving.

Caroline M said...

I love the colours and the loom. I make all the Christmas presents vanish by stacking them in the spare bedroom, throwing a sheet over them and putting two balls of yarn on the top. I once played hide and seek and was invisible to small boys by sitting in the bathroom under a towel. I'm not sure if it works with girls though.

Artis-Anne said...

Oh I so want a Saori loom where did you get it ? not this country surely ??